Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Can We Talk Privately?

On Sunday, we were still going strong in the garage sale business.  There was a steady stream of people from about 8:30 on.

Apparently, we Floridians know how to garage sale hard!  Even on a Sunday.

Anyway.  I was walking up to what we were calling the 'Haiti Table' (our command center, of sorts) and over-heard a woman asking Stephen if she could talk to him and his wife 'privately'.

I don't know why but my first thought was not pleasant.  I had assumed that she was upset about something because of her serious nature.  That didn't improve any when she started out the conversation with, "I was here yesterday..."

Oh man!

Did she buy something that broke?  Did someone or something upset her yesterday?

She continued on telling us that we were really laid on her heart after she had left on Saturday.  She then said that her family had gone to our church for years but that she could not get her husband to go anymore since their children were now in college.

At this point, she pulls money out of her pocket and continues (through her sobs)...

That they do not have a lot of money but this is what they would have given to the church that morning -if they would have gone- and she was led to give it to us.  She handed me $22 that was paper-clipped together.

She asked if Stephen and I would pray over the money.  Pray that she and her family would find their way back to the church.  Pray that they restore their relationship with the Lord.

At this point, I was sobbing along with her.  I looked over at Stephen and his eyes were filled with tears too - for the second time this weekend!

Keep in mind, I have only seen this man shed tears two other times in our 17 years together.  Not that he is void of feelings... its just that his emotional pendulum doesn't swing as extreme as mine.

Honestly not 10 minutes before this, I was telling Stephen that I needed a good, healthy cry that night.  Not from being upset but from the overwhelming feeling of love and support that had been poured on us all weekend.

This now gave me a reason to let the flood gates open.  Right then and there.

She handed me the money.  We hugged and cried together.  Then Stephen hugged her and she cried even more.
                                                The $22 and Puzzle Piece
Right there, in my garage, was a moment that I hope I will never forget.  Stephen and I were made aware that we have the ability to touch lives that we don't even realize we are.  Through this journey that God has sent our family on, HE may be able to reach others.

So Stephen and I have prayed.  Prayed for this family that we don't even know... but He knows.  Prayed for Kim and her family.  Prayed for her husband.  Prayed for her hurting heart. 

We felt it would be important to her and our family to make a puzzle piece in her name to remind us of this story and commitment of prayer.  She has made this faith donation to us and we want to honor that in his puzzle.

By the way, this $22 has stayed paper clipped.  Together.  Separate from the rest.  We will put it into the adoption fund account when we 'feel that it is ready'.  Does that make sense?  We still feel that this family was brought to our attention for a reason and they are in need of our prayer.

As every other decision has been... we'll let Him tell us when it is time.

No comments: