Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Break My Heart for What Breaks Yours

Many of you have asked about Sam's scar on his left wrist.

Before, I just knew that he had it when he arrived at the orphanage.  Last week, while we were eating breakfast, my father-in-law asked the orphanage director if she knew how he got it.  I wasn't expecting to hear her response.

It appears to be some type of burn but she explained that it is -more than likely- a rub burn.  She knows this because Sam came from the hospital before he arrived at the orphanage and she's seen a practice at the hospitals that would cause an injury like his...

Apparently, there are times when a baby has a tie put around its wrist and is then tied to the crib to keep the baby from climbing out of the crib.

Got that visual?
I did and it broke my heart.

I was caught completely by surprise at the revelation.  I had to excuse myself from the table to gather myself.  You know that you are adopting an orphan and that they may not have had the best life before they entered yours but to have that thought and visual...

Yet it strengthens my resolve.  That God placed Sam in our hearts and our family to ensure that he has a family that will cherish him and shower him with love.  We vow to come around him, protect him, and nurture him to be a wonderful man.
We will not be bound by anger and regret.  We will always continue to look forward to the family that we are now and continue follow the path that the Lord wants us to.

1 comment:

TNKCTurner said...

That is absolutely heartbreaking. :(