Saturday, March 15, 2014

Our Visa Miracle!

After Sam's return from the hospital, all of our attention turned to getting him back to the states so we could get some concrete diagnosis and treatment.

Our adoption was at the final stage.  We had been waiting for I-600 approval (immigration approval) from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services.  After we got this approval, his visa would be issued and he could come to the US.
It was extremely difficult to maneuver much from Haiti.  I could communicate through Facebook and email but the internet could be spotty at times too.  I was relying on my wonderful husband to make first hand contacts with our Congressman Bill Posey's office.  Friends of ours were reaching out to their Representatives and Congressmen/women too.

Each evening, I would email USCIS with another plea to review Sam's file expediently... and the next day, I would still not receive a reply.

My days were filled with helping out around the orphanage as much as possible but, mostly, just taking care of Sam.
One day we did venture out.  We went to the Baptist Mission.
He was off of the Rocephin prescription and now on Amoxicillin - after the local doctor came to see him and also agreed to write a letter to USCIS on our behalf, since we were still concerned about a skull fracture that was diagnosed at the last hospital. Sam's energy level was starting to come back a little, as was his appetite.  It was a job, in itself, to keep him quietly contained!

His head was not swelling any further but it had not gone down and was still very large.  We did not want him re-injuring himself.

The odd thing was that the swelling did not stay hard.  After a couple of days it started getting a soft consistency.  Almost like Jell-o under his skin.  When he would run, his head would actually jiggle.  It was the weirdest thing that I have ever seen!
I was able to put a TV in our room to help keep him occupied.  The first day, I played animated movies and he was NOT impressed.  So I then borrowed season 2 of the X-Files from Barbara and watched those every afternoon and night.  Sam loved the theme song.

The days blended together and I was starting to loose hope that we would have a resolution soon... and I didn't know what would happen.

My family back home was needing me.  Our 3 year old was sick with a cold and our 11 year old daughter got her braces on... AND mommy wasn't there for them.  It was killing me.  BUT when I thought about leaving Sam... that just didn't seem to be an option!
On Wednesday night, day 8 in Haiti, I had just written a message to a friend that I was "in despair" about the bleak outlook and what I was going to do - stay or go home without Sam - when IT HAPPENED!!

In a VERY odd way... At 10 at night... From Arkansas... Because God has perfect timing AND a good sense of humor!

My sister in law's sister (got that?) sent me a message on Facebook.  I had been inundated with messages, so it was a miracle that I even read it.  She said that she had received a reply message from a USCIS officer.  Apparently, she and my sister in law had been sending emails to different USCIS offices... and she actually got a REAL reply back, not just one of the automated ones!

The USCIS officer said that, according to her records, Sam's immigration application had been approved that afternoon!!

I still get goosebumps even writing that!

I was so excited that I even went and banged on Barbara's bedroom door to share the good news with her.  Thankfully, she shared my enthusiasm... because you didn't want to interrupt 'Rambo in a Blue Dress' during her shows for nothing!

Prayers were being answered and now our goal was in sight.
Thursday was our rally day.  We officially received our I-600 approval email from the USCIS office in Haiti.  It was time to gather all of our information and get our ducks in a row to -hopefully- have success with expediting Sam's visa.

We discovered that we didn't have a copy of the report from Sam's physical.  This is a must for his visa file.  It took us most of the day to get that from the doctor's office across town - since you don't go anywhere fast in Haiti.
I spoke to my husband about our Congressman's office and, thankfully, they had been in constant touch.  The visa stage is where Bill Posey's office could have an influence.  I also spoke with my father in law and he was booking a flight for the next morning to stay with us until we headed home... HOME!!

You know what was even MORE special about this day?  On Thursday, I was able to feel some of Sam's skull.  Previously, the swelling was so thick that we couldn't even feel his skull.
Friday morning was the start to our BIG DAY!

The group from our church showed up.  It just so happened that they were there for a mission trip that weekend.  My father in law, Richard, arrived on the same flight with them.  BOY, were they all a sight for sore eyes!
A portion of our church mission group
After some quick 'hellos' we were off to the Embassy!

Now let me tell you about the long shot that we were up against...

In a 'normal' situation, adoptive parents would receive an email that their child's immigration has been approved (what we received officially Thursday morning).  Then they wait for about a week for another email from the visa team to tell them when their child's visa appointment is (similar to us applying for a passport).  This appointment is generally 2-3 weeks out.  After the appointment, it is still at least 3 days before the visa is printed and ready for pick up.

Got all of that?  Usually, at least a 4 week process.

And we were asking for ALL of this in one business day.  A Friday none the less!

But we were determined.  Failure meant that we would be in Haiti well into the next week... at least!

Mirlande, Richard, Sam and I loaded into the truck for the 40 minute drive to the Embassy.  As the truck was backing out of the orphanage, I was describing to Richard our uphill battle for the day.  Mirlande stopped the truck outside of the gate and we prayed.  Prayed that God would move these HUGE mountains that stood in our way.

We arrived at the Embassy at 10:30am.  Now this isn't a building that you just waltz up to.  They have security out front, before you even get to the building.  If you aren't on their roster for the day or have an email print out showing your appointment, you don't get in.

I showed them the email that I had written to the Embassy stating my desire to come to their office that morning at 10:30.  AND THEY LET ME IN!  Not only did they let me in, but Mirlande and Richard too.

The waiting room at the Embassy is the size of an auditorium and there were only 2 other groups there.  One side of the room is lined with teller-like windows, where you speak to the Embassy employee or officer that you have a meeting with.

We were called up to the window after only about 2 minutes of waiting.  The visa officer was extremely kind!  She asked for the documents needed to complete his visa.  We discussed his medical situation and she was able to see him for herself.  We even had new visa pictures taken the day before because he now looked so different with the remaining swelling.


After telling me that she and the visa team were committed to doing everything that they could for us, there was a snag...

One of the forms had been recently updated and could only completed online.  Of course there is NO internet availability at the Embassy.  Plus, this document normally takes 4-24 hours to approve and the Embassy has no influence or control over it since the processing is done in Washington DC.

This meant that we had to race back to the orphanage.  Complete the form and race back to the Embassy and pray for its quick approval.

Before we left, the officer did inform me that we had some Congressional support.  Apparently, Bill Posey's office had been in touch with the State Department.  They had approved over time -if needed- for the visa team to get this done.

We made the decision to contact Stephen via international call on Mirlande's phone to get him to fill out this form.  Brilliance!

It took about an hour and several phone calls to the embassy in Haiti and Visa Center in DC before the form was complete.  Stephen hit the submit button a few minutes after noon.

Once back at Ruuska Village, we gobbled down lunch and then I put Sam down for a nap.  The visa officer, Christine, said that I did not need to bring him back to the Embassy because she was satisfied with his medical need.  Since our friends were now at the orphanage (including 2 of our regular babysitters from home) it was an easy choice for me.
Barbara and Mirlande ran an errand before we headed back to them Embassy BUT they came flying in at 2pm saying that Christine from the visa office had just called and said that I needed to get there to pay for the visa ASAP - before the clerk left for the day.  Again, we scrambled into the truck and Mirlande drove like a street racer or maniac - I'm still not sure!  She had her flashers going and horn just a blaring.

We arrived at 2:45 and Richard and I ran into the building -since we had been given a pass previously.

There was nobody in the waiting area.  This huge room and we were the only ones.  As I was filling out some additional forms, I gave an envelope to Richard for him to go around to another window and pay the $230 for the visa.

And then we had to wait.
The metal waiting chairs are not very comfortable but Richard was able to fall asleep in them... after I chewed his ear off for an hour, telling him about the past 2 weeks.  At 4pm, he was asleep for just a few minutes, when over the loud speakers, we hear "Pierre Bordin".  Richard jumped at least 3 feet.  Oh, how I wish I had a camera going!

I tripped over Richard, laughing, on my way up to the window.  Christine came over the window speaker and said, "I'm so sorry.  I tried to talk quietly... but I think you'll be happy with my news!"

And with that, she holds up Sam's visa!!  In less than 6 hours since we had, unceremoniously, showed up at the Embassy.  My laughter quickly turned into tears.  Richard and I both launched into a chorus of "Thank you's."

She was quick to point at the many people in the office behind her.  They were the "Visa Team" -our personal Dream Team for that day.  We asked for her supervisor to thank her too.

They both said that they had never seen anything like it.  Our Congressman had a hand in getting the ball moving faster and helping to get any over time approved.  The 'team' had agreed to stay 2 hours late on a Friday to get this done but they didn't even need it.  She said that the office clerk had stayed a few minutes into his own time to process our payment.

In addition, the form we submitted online - the one that usually takes 4-24 hours to process - was approved and back to us in 3 hours.

This was all a God-given MIRACLE!

And we were heading H-O-M-E!!!
I called Stephen on the way back to the orphanage to tell him to buy our son's plane ticket home.  The moment we arrived at Ruuska Village, I jumped out and yelled to everyone that we had it.  Oh, I couldn't wait to get my hands on my boy!
I don't think that I stopped smiling all night.  We had a great feast with my church friends.  Looking back, it is so fitting that my our last meal in Haiti was shared with many of the mission friends that I had started this journey with 2 years ago.

Poor Richard had been awake the entire night before, traveling to Haiti, and fell asleep at the dinner table.

I was thankful that one special lady came by to say 'good-bye'... Sam's nanny, Ecefi.
I took Sam back to 'our' room and gave him his last COLD Haitian bath.  After he fell asleep, I packed most of our luggage.  We were booked for the first flight out of Haiti.  Woohoo!

What a day!!  One that I will never forget... a day that I saw, first hand, the power of prayer!

Up next:  Our Gotcha Day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, now that is the happiest tear jerker I have ever read. Welcome Home Baby Sam!!!!

She Ra Phoenix said...

So happy we were able to help in a small way! So happy he is home.

Sheri Wiebe said...

So happy for you! Been following your journey. Got our daughter from Haiti 4 years ago, right after the earthquake. Read our blog on www.jasonwiebedairy.com.