Monday, March 31, 2014

Learning Curve

Sam had been home for a little over a week.  Our oldest was at dance lessons and the boys were at home with Daddy.  I was still wanting to keep Sam with me at all times... you know, the whole attachment thing and all.  It had nothing to do with the fact that I wanted to soak up every minute that I had with him in a 24 hour day.  Right?
I decided to run over to Target to grab a few things.  Honestly, I was looking at clothes and hair products.  I have been having WAY TOO much fun trying out new lotions and natural products on Sam's hair.
 Anyhoo...

We were browsing through the clothes when we happened upon another mom with her son.  He looked to be about 3 years old.  After a quick glance, the little boy declared - in the megatone that ALL little boys speak in - "Mommy, I don't like him!"

I was speechless!  (and for her credit, I could tell that the mom was mortified)

I quickly turned back to the rack of clothes that I had lost all interest in buying now.  My heart was wanting to cry, my irrational brain wanted to smack the little boy, but my soul cried out to God to show me how to handle this?
Growing up, I have not been exposed to racism.  Let me categorize that correctly... I have not been on the receiving end of it or affected by it in this capacity.  In Haiti, I was denied ordered goods because I was not Haitian BUT THIS WAS MY CHILD!  Not the same feeling!

In my -relatively- few years as a Christian, I have seen first hand how God often teaches us through our children... and this was one of those times.  As I was standing there, praying for guidance on how to handle this, Sam smiled at the little boy and said "HI!".  And he continued to, with this big smile on his face and little hand wave.  Finally, after Sam has said it about 7 times, the little boy begrudgingly said a 'hi' back to him.
All the while, Sam just had this big smile on his face.  Once the little boy acknowledged him, Sam looked at me with knowing eyes.  Yes, THIS was the way to handle this kind of situation.
We will not lower ourselves or even try to make the person feel bad.  We will show them love and God's grace.  Through THAT will we all learn how to love those that are difficult to love.

Thank you, Lord, for sending me my children... and for those 'teachable' moments!

1 comment:

Fiddledeedee said...

Beautifully, beautifully written, my friend. The children. They teach us. :)