Wednesday, July 30, 2014

"Disney" for the Tight Budget

My kiddos and I share a love for Disney.  Between Lego, Let It Go and Elsa; Disney was at the forefront in Sam's first English words.  We would have annual passes and go all the time... however, that will have to happen when we are in a different season in our life.

As it stands now, we get our Disney fix in more creative ways than going to the parks.

Enter our day today:

The Littles and I were on our way back home from dropping the older kiddos at their grandpa's house for a few days.  I decided to make a fun pit stop in Orlando for the afternoon.  Where?  Downtown Disney!!

Our first stop was at the T-Rex Café.  The noisy entrance had Sam saying, "no, thank you" a few times but he got interested once he saw the BIG t-rex behind the hostess stand.  Jack was the complete opposite.  He was all gung-ho... until he saw said dinosaur and decided to exit stage right at high speed.
He collected himself pretty quickly and decided that he did want to eat with the dinosaurs instead of the "monkeys". (my name for Rainforest Café) 
I replaced my normal wine choice with a water and stuck with a budget-conscience meal choice.  The kiddos enjoyed their dinosaur-shaped nuggets and fries, plus a drink comes with the children's meal.  Score!
After a delicious and fun lunch, we were on to our next event... teaching the boys the fine art window shopping!
We had a GREAT time at the Lego Store...
At our next stop, Sam made a beeline for the Frozen department.  Big surprise, I know!
Here is a picture of him singing "Let It Go" to the Elsa doll.  I kid you not!  Oh how I wished that I would have turned the video on. 
After prying him away from the Anna and Elsa dolls, we had more fun trying on hats and playing with toys.




One thing that I love about Disney is that all of the employees have their hometown listed on their name tags.  Maybe its the nosey side of me but I love seeing where everyone is from. 

First, an employee from Jamaica came up to me and said, "I was going to ask you if they are twins but I'm thinking they are not."  She couldn't contain her chuckle and neither could I.  After explaining that they are about 6 months apart, we left it at that. 

Then as we were leaving the building a Haitian employee said hello and I couldn't help but chat with her as Jack and Sam played with the squirting Stitch (yes, you read that right.)  She was excited to ask me questions about Sam:  where he was from in Haiti, how long he has been home and if we knew anything about his bio momma.  After I answered those questions, she went over to Sam and started speaking to him in Creole. 

He looked totally lost!!

The woman turned to me and said, "he's only been here 5 months?  He knows no Creole!"  She then looked at Sam and said, "momma?"

He ran the 3 feet over to me, wrapped his arms around me and said, "mommy!"  She smiled and said 'ah, good!'

We took in the pretty sights along the way too...
I do have to admit that I was purposeful in our route that we took around the place, in an effort to avoid the train ride.  Jack has a slight obsession with trains!!  He was satisfied -and quite mesmerized- by the train that ran along the ceiling in one of the stores.
 
I also fear that we may have found a new love in Sam's life.  He and Minnie had quite the moment from the time their eyes met...


And couldn't leave without taking a tour through Rainforest Café.  What a treat and the kids were fascinated; if even, a bit sensory overloaded!


What a wonderful afternoon with my FAVORITE toddlers in the whole world!! 
They were completely tuckered out...
 
So that is my solution to solving our Disney craze while on a
T-I-G-H-T budget.  Please feel free to share your tricks with me too!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We use to park at a Disney hotel (free) and explore. We would ride the monerail and get out at every stop. You can ride the boats and play at outside parks too. All free! We bring our lunch and snacks. It works out perfectly. My kids think they have been to disneyworld! And they have!