Monday, August 4, 2014

He's My Brother...

I had a bit of an epiphany this past week...

Our family has gotten a bit used to people giving us second glances when we are out and about.  The 'chatty Nancy' in me loves answering questions about adoption.  My dream is that we may be advocates for adoption and possibly be a catalyst for someone to pursue adoption.  [What an honor that would be!]
However, there is a part of me that is concerned with talking too much, in front of the children, about how Sam is adopted.  I don't want it to always be in the forefront of his mind.  He is first, and most importantly, our son.  Not our 'adopted' son.  This was really brought home last week when we were at Miami's Seaquarium (where all of these photos were taken at.)

There was a play area set up with a bunch of water slides.  The Littles were itching to get on them.  Cole decided to play the good big brother and took one for the team =  helping the boys climb their way to the top of the inflatables.

He stood in the long lines while Isabel and I hid from the Miami sun about 15 feet away.

On the last slide, I noticed that a group of young black girls talking to them while they were waiting in line.  Being the curious sort, I asked Cole about the conversation when they returned...

Apparently, girl #1 peaked around Cole's shoulder and asked if the Littles were his cousins.

His reply was, "No, they are my brothers."

Girl #2 popped her head out of the line, around #1 and said, "but he's black."

Cole... "Yes.  Yes, he is."

And that was it.  Short.  Sweet.  And perfect!

I often say that I learn a lot from my children and this was one of those times. 

Sometimes, less is more.  Right?

1 comment:

the Dickerson family said...

your family totally are advocates for adoption!
thanks for being real.