Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Transparency

Transparency.  We hear this word thrown around a lot these days. 

In December of 2012, when our family decided to start the adoption process, we needed to make the choice on how public or 'transparent' we wanted to have our adoption process be.

We have seen, known, or followed other adoption stories and knew the different depths of sharing that some do.  Some families do not even announce their adoption until the child comes home.  Others announce it to family and friends but keep the details mum until the child joins the family.  I have friends that have set up private or 'secret' Facebook pages to share the journey with those close to them.

And then there are people like me.

I admit it... I like to be an open book.  I like to share our journey with anyone that wants to follow.

I also like to have lots of brains to bounce thoughts and ideas off of - like the time that we were throwing around names for our new addition.  That was fun!

I guess I process outwardly.

Another reason was that I strongly felt that if we were asking for donations and support for our adoption, we needed to be an open book with the process and costs.  Kind of like a charity or organization.  You lay it all out there for any questions.

I've always been open for questions.  I love them in fact!

One reason I love them is because it opens up honest conversations about adoption.  Although adoption is wonderful, there are real aspects and issues that need to be thought about, and talking to families that have been though it is the best way.

In being an open book, we believe that God has used us to move -at least- two other families to adopt.  Although we take absolutely NO credit in them listening to God's calling in their life, we are thankful that he has used us, Sam and/or our adoption to make an impact.

But most of all, I believe that sharing our story with the world has created a community that was able to pray for us EACH. STEP. OF. THE. WAY!  We had prayers coming before a big meeting/appointment.  Prayers were continuously being said for protection over Sam's sweet little heart.  And I personally saw the pure power of prayer during those two weeks that we were trying to get him home for treatment!!

Sometimes, being an open book can be pretty cool!

No comments: