Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Kids, We Need To Talk....

"Kids, we need to talk to you about something"...



This is how Stephen started the conversation with our two oldest children, when we told them about the adoption.  Both had just finished brushing their teeth and getting ready for bed.  Jack (our 2 year old) was already in the land of nod.  Honestly, I didn't even know that we were going to be talking with the children about it because I wasn't even sure if Stephen was ready to take that step forward.  I was leaving it up to him to when our family would take that leap.  As I said before, he needed to be 100% on board.

Well in that instant that he said those words, my head jerked around to his direction and I believe my jaw hit the floor.  Stephen just gave me this small smile of acknowledgement.  Yes, we are about to go to the point of no return.  Keep in mind, we hadn't really talked about this with many people.  We just asked our small group and some close friends to pray for us, that we would follow what God's will is for our family.  Stephen and I both knew that once the children knew, there is no turning back for us - as it was almost a given that the kids would be stoked and very-much-on-board.

The children, however, were in a frozen state of fear.  They had no idea what was about to come out of their daddy's mouth.  Cole said, "are we moving" and Isabel quickly followed that up with, "mommy, are you going back to work?"  Well, I guess we now know what each of their fears are??  We put them out of their miseries with a fast 'NO'.  

Stephen took a deep breath and continued  - 'mommy and I have been talking and praying about something for a long time and want to talk to you both.  How would you feel about our family adopting a baby from Haiti?'

After a quick breath of relief, they erupted in a unison YES! 

Then the flurry of questions started.  Isabel: Can we adopt a boy?  Cole:  When can we get him?  Isabel:  What is his name?  Cole:  Who is he?  Isabel:  How old will he be?

Stephen and I slowly started going through all of the questions with them.  When we got to the question of WHO, we showed them some pictures of little boys that we knew were waiting for their forever home at the orphanage.  Right away, Cole fell in love with our Sam.  

Then the serious talk took place.  We needed to make sure that they understood the level of commitment we were making...  

1.  Our family would need to make some financial cut backs for the foreseeable future.   We were going to have to make decisions based on the financial obligation we have to this child and bringing him home.  This could impact vacations, gifts and possibly extra-curricular activities.  -Check 

2.  Our decision right now is a life long commitment.  Even when our children are grown, he will always be their brother, our son, family.  'This little boy's children would one day be your nieces and nephews', is how we worded it for their level and understanding.  -Check

As we continued talking and looking at pictures, I noticed that Cole had run from the room.  He didn't seem upset but I wondered where he had gone.  He quickly returned, but he was now holding his piggy bank.  My little boy, all of 7 years old, came up to me, handed me his piggy bank and said, "take this and use it for the adoption.  It's not much but I've been saving it for something special and this is VERY important."  Wow.  My middle child.  My wild child.  He had just said two sentences that completely made every question and concern I had go from my heart and mind.  Oh the water works started and I was done for the night.  

We hugged them tight and kissed them good night.  Yes, we were a family with a shared vision and plan.  Was it daunting?  Extremely!  But we knew we were in this together and united for the long road ahead.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great story, and how generous of Cole! You guys are in for a great adventure!